Date posted: 5/9/17
As a member of the senior management team of The Post and Courier, this position directly oversees the finance division including oversight of all billing, credit management and accounts payable. This position works directly with senior management team to formulate strategic plans and prepare financial budgets.
• Manage staff responsible for Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Credit Management, Billing, Cash Management, Financial Reporting, Accounts Receivable, and Circulation Accounting. Provide training, motivation, guidance, and cross-training. Encourage a service-oriented atmosphere. Expect the staff to be professional, dedicated, work well with others, maintain the highest ethical standards and continue to improve skills.
• Financial Reporting – Forecasting, Benchmarking, Month-end and Year-end close and financial reporting. Review expenses and revenue and make recommendations that will improve GOP. Responsible for making sure the company follows generally accepted accounting procedures and IRS rules
• Taxes – Sales tax, 1099’s, Business Licenses, Property taxes. Monitor tax laws for any changes to ensure we are in compliance
• Annual budget preparation and analysis. Review and research variances monthly.
• General Ledger, journal entries, reconciliations
• Cash management, credit cards, and other banking services and related issues
• Audits – contract for internal, annual external, regulatory
• Review internal Controls and ensure compliance. Maintain documentation of processes
• New Product initiatives – financial reporting and set-up, review profitability
• Review and record monthly inventory – newsprint, ink, supplies, plates, LIFO adjustment calculation
• Review and monitor all company expenditures including capital asset purchases
• Annual various filings including Independent Newspaper Group (ING) study
• Advertising – review, track and report sponsorships, develop reports to help Advertising track revenue and improve forecasting, review commission structure, new product P & L’s, manage, track and record new initiatives
• Support all department managers with financial reporting needs, procedures and policies
• Work with subsidiary group on smart business function consolidation practices around systems, reporting and staffing.
• Month-end close for circulation for subsidiaries except Kingstree and Aiken
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
• CPA or MBA or equivalent experience with audit experience of medium to large complex organizations preferred
• 5+ years’ experience with responsibility for managing accounting functions.
• Experienced with cloud-based systems, such as Oracle or similar systems and their close processes. Power user of Oracle Fusion is a big plus
• 4-year degree in Accounting/Business Administration
• Previous management experience required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• A good command of complex multi-state accounting and corporate tax principles
• Microsoft Office Suite working knowledge (intermediate to advanced Excel and Word skills)
• Ability to lead by example – support vision of organization and promote core values
• Verbal, written and presentation communication skills
• Ability to teach and train with patience and clarity
• Interpersonal and customer service skills
• Detailed-oriented with strong analytical skills; able to independently research and resolve issues
• Organizational and project management skills to manage multiple priorities within tight deadlines while maintaining the highest standards in completeness and accuracy
• Strong technical accounting skills and solid knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Working knowledge of financial systems and ability to leverage technology
• Change management and process improvement mindset with ability to support mentoring role with others
• Demonstrated ability to analyze results to include presentation of findings and execution of change deemed necessary to promote improvement
• Must be able to drive an automobile and be able to travel.
Close eye work, continuous sitting, and light to moderate lifting 15-30 pounds (per safety policy).
The worker is frequently subject to inside environmental conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes, and is sometimes subject to outside environmental conditions.