Date posted: 9/28/17
The Home Delivery Manager is responsible for the distribution of the News and Record daily newspaper and associated products. The HDM will manage lead and direct employees in the home delivery department to achieve excellent customer service and readership growth via independent contractor delivery partners. This includes but is not limited to contract management, expense and revenue management and strategic planning. The HDM will work with the circulation leadership team in the development and implementation of growth initiatives; insure product control within the distribution center and at drop sites. This position will lead staff training/development. This position is also responsible for independent contractor recruitment/orientation.
The Home Delivery Manager must possess and display excellent communication skills in working with the public including internal and external business partners. Strong negotiation, leadership and analytical, budgeting skills are a must. Familiarity with Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, Outlook and Access preferred.
A four-year degree, ideally in business or a related field is preferred. At least five years of successful newspaper operational management experience and some circulation sales experience strongly preferred.
The Home Delivery Manager is accountable for ensuring that excellent delivery service is attained and maximum circulation volumes and revenues are achieved. This includes and is not limited to the following:
1. Screening, hiring, training, coaching, mentoring, monitoring employee performances, employment termination when appropriate, of all personnel in the Home Delivery Department.
2. Teambuilding with district managers, distribution center coordinators, redelivery personnel to insure a healthy working environment where all have to potential to thrive and be successful.
3. Monitoring timely distribution daily and service quality standards are consistently met for all publications.
4. Ensure all customer service requirements are met.
5. Must possess excellent communication skills, oral and written, for in this position the manager is interacting with staff, peers, business partners, and the public.
6. Responsible for distribution of multiple products daily including the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, USA Today, IBD, all News and Record products.
7. Manager must be capable of managing route optimization to insure routes are profitable for the company while being attractive for responsible, reliable independent contractor business partners. This also involves making sound decisions regarding route structure.
8. Manager must possess strong analytical skills and math skills. Manager must be able to monitor and manage a budget and be able to plan a budget for the department.
9. Manager must work to maintain and grow circulation volumes in the market.
10. Responsible for overseeing the contracting of business partners for home delivery routes and product hauling contracts. This position also manages all contract terminations.
Employees: District Supervisors, Part-time Redelivery personnel, DC Personnel-Indirectly
Experience & Skills required:
• Successful track record outstanding service; circulation growth; and revenue
• Strong Customer Service Skills
• Planning and organizing the distribution operation experience
• Leadership and staff development of large teams
• Successful track record decision-making and execution skills
• Proficient in MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) and other related databases and web-based applications
Education: Required: HS Diploma; Preferred: Associates or Bachelor’s degree
PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: (must successfully pass)
• Criminal Background Investigation
• Drug Screen
Must possess reliable transportation, automobile insurance and a valid driver’s license