Date posted: 2/22/19
The Index-Journal Company, a family-owned daily newspaper celebrating 100 years of business in Greenwood, S.C., is seeking an experienced Pressroom Manager. This is a full-time, salaried position with day and nighttime hours.
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to: assigning and supervising work of all press operations employees; handling moderate personnel and administrative functions; supervising, leading and coaching press crew; maintain equipment; effective communication and coordination of operation’s schedules/functions within the department along with surrounding departments.
The successful candidate must be: quality conscious; able to troubleshoot press-related problems; and able to lead a team to produce the best possible product under strict deadlines. The successful candidate must be professional and courteous, a strong leader, and timely in every interaction. The successful candidate must be able to manage policies and procedures, materials, processes, equipment and production for newsprint, plate and press, and occasionally in packaging department. The successful candidate must be able to make effective decisions for the welfare of the company and customers while maintaining a safe work environment.
* Minimum 5 years on-the-job training in newspaper pressroom
* Experience in a lead or supervisory position with strong leadership skills
* Mechanically inclined and full understanding of the printing process
* Must have offset web knowledge and experience
* CTP, Imagesetter and plate processor experience required
* Ability to quote commercial print jobs
* Must understand OSHA guidelines
* Physically capable of standing for long periods of time with routine bending, stooping, standing, climbing and lifting – able to lift up to 70+ pounds and push/pull up to 100 pounds
Benefits for full time employees include: Medical and dental insurance, $15,000 life insurance policy, paid vacation and sick days.