Date posted: 5/2/19
Chattanooga Times Free Press is looking for a dynamic, innovative and passionate Advertising Director. We are looking for a person who can successfully lead the local sales team. This role will have a direct line of responsibility to the President.
Primary responsibilities are to:
• Responsible for ensuring the sales growth, profitability and long term viability of all advertising accounts.
• Lead and direct local market sales team.
• Successfully execute agreed upon sales initiatives.
The Advertising Director supports the sales management and staff to acquire new business as well as maintain and grow existing business/relationships with customers. The Advertising Director will have superior people skills, positive demeanor and work ethic and be excited about the opportunity for leading a team focused on developing relationships and acting as strategic business partners for our customers.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
• Provide local sales leadership and management both internally as well as actively participating with in-field sales.
• Responsible for sales growth and profitability for all advertising.
• Lead local print and online (integrated) sales team.
• Lead and coach the local sales team in increasing advertising revenue from an established account base with a focus on business development as well as methods to garner new accounts/business.
• Actively maintains client relationship and performs normal sales duties with open territories as needed.
• To grow local market share in terms of the number of active accounts that translates to growing local controllable revenue.
• Develop and implement "go to market plans" that include sales strategies for growth in key categories or products and leverages the full product portfolio.
• Communicate and present sales strategies to staff in a comprehensive format that can be transferred to individual action plans.
• Develop advertiser relationships and maintain high level of advertiser satisfaction.
• Work with Sales Manager to assign revenue targets/quotas for team tying to annual budgets.
• Manage sales team to established metrics and standards.
• Develop the appropriate talent pool to ensure adequate bench strength and succession planning; recognizing and rewarding employees for accomplishments.
• Develop succession plans and growth/development plans for high potential employees.
• Select, train and develop an effective and efficient staff. Provide training to the staff in the art of negotiation, persuasive selling, closing the sale and other critical sales skills.
• Recommend salary increases, promotions, transfers, disciplinary actions and dismissals in conformance with company policies and procedures. Conduct annual performance reviews.
• Effectively lead, manage and counsel the sales staff providing clear expectations, driving accountability and provide regular performance feedback this includes interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning, directing work, rewarding, developing performance plans and addressing/resolving employee concerns.
• Manage to department as well as revenue and expense budgets.
• Utilize analytics to provide vision to staff on goals, stretch goals, performance opportunities, territory performance, strategic acquisitions and achievements.
• Help identify obstacles to success and focus on continuous improvement.
• Uses situational analysis to determine the best outcome.
• Anticipate and address problems outside the normal scope of the job and offer solutions.
• Adhere to company policy, Code of Ethics and assigned standards of performance and ensures staff is in compliance.
Minimum Qualifications (Education and Experience):
• Typically requires BS/BA in related discipline or equivalent work experience
• 7+ years experience in sales management
• Digital knowledge and experience is a must
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Proven record of increasing sales revenue and growing account base, building effective teams and driving innovation
• Proven leadership skills
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and be able to negotiate effectively
• Must have excellent organization skills for both time and projects, react to change productively while working under daily deadline pressure
• Proven ability to develop revenue strategy and then execute strategy through others in a winning manner.
Physical Activities Required: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
An Equal Opportunity Employer