Share your successful circulation subscriber sales and audience acquisition ideas and get more proven ideas in return!
SNPA is hosting a free video conference designed to give you actionable, proven revenue-generating ideas. The next P2P (Publisher-to-Publisher) session will occur on Thursday, Aug. 8, and be dedicated to growing subscribers.
Participating is simple. Contribute one idea and in exchange, you get the login codes and the complete package of ideas that are contributed by other newspapers.
Send an email by Aug. 2 to Greg Watson with the subject line P2P and share some information with us.MORE
Executives who addressed this month's topic were:
- Jeff DeLoach, president of the Chattanooga Times Free Press.
- David Kirkman, vice president of audience services, Richmond Times-Dispatch.
- Mark Adams, audience acquisition and retention manager, The Post and Courier, Charleston, S.C. Adams also is a member of the NEX GEN Class of 2018-19.
- Retaining current subscribers is much more efficient than acquiring new ones.
- Utilizing value-selling techniques with each subscriber touch point is critical – especially with incoming calls.
- Reader revenue, both print and digital, has growing importance for future financial health, not only audience needs.
- Traditional sales channels will remain important, enhanced with innovative digital marketing (email and social media).
- Market audience leadership through quality content is essential.
Across the news industry, organizations large and small, commercial and nonprofit, single issue and daily news are experimenting with "engagement." Audience engagement. Engaged journalism. Engagement editors and specialists. Engaging for trust. And the list goes on. But what is engagement? Why are organizations experimenting with it, and to what effect?MORE
Customer data is the foundation for strategically planning, executing and optimizing audience growth and revenue diversification efforts. Unifying, analyzing and deploying all available customer intelligence to optimize a customer journey that is perfectly engineered for each individual – transporting that consumer efficiently from awareness to paid customer status – is essential to financial viability.
At the Mega-Conference, hear how GateHouse Media's investment in customer data is not only supporting digital subscription growth, but is impacting revenue diversification initiatives across the enterprise. Learn how The Dallas Morning News is leveraging marketing automation to fund and enrich digital transformation efforts by extending the print runway.MORE
The path from a casual reader to a paying subscriber isn't a short one, but by understanding how audiences get from one place to another, publishers can begin to devise strategies to get more readers to complete that journey.
A recent study published by the American Press Institute as part of The Media Insight Project surveyed audiences and found nine distinct reader types.MORE
Cox Media Group has announced the sale of Mundo Hispánico to Mundo Hispano Digital Network, a tech-focused media company created to serve the growth and needs of the U.S. Latino community through its digital and written content, publishing reach and social media network.
"We are excited that Mundo Hispánico has found a new home with owners who are committed to continue offering quality news coverage to the growing Latino community in Atlanta and across the country," said CMG President Kim Guthrie. "The new owners have deep ties to and demonstrated involvement in the Hispanic community and are a perfect match with our talented and passionate group of Mundo employees."MORE
Ahora Sí, the American-Statesman's weekly Spanish-language newspaper, will cease publication Oct. 11.
The announcement came at the same time the Statesman announced all its 200-plus employees would be eligible to take a voluntary severance package.
Staffers who take the voluntary severance package would depart the newspaper next month, the company said.MORE
By Madeleine Bair, 2018-19 Reynolds Fellow
Where do you get news and information that's relevant to you?
That's what El Tímpano asked hundreds of Latino immigrants in Oakland, Calif., during an information needs assessment we conducted throughout the past year. We also asked community organizers, educators and church leaders how they share information with the residents, parents and congregants they work with.
Before piloting a reporting outlet to serve Oakland's Spanish-speaking immigrants, we wanted to hear from them first, rather than making any assumptions about what would be the best format to report about, with, and for this community. What we found, outlined in a report released last month, will inform the design of El Tímpano as a new local reporting platform.MORE
This week we explore some emerging trends in understanding audience behavior.MORE
In this week's Futures Lab update, the Reynolds Journalism Institute explores how better use of analytics and data could help newsrooms improve their coverage and connect with audiences.MORE
Here's a taste of what you'll hear in Chicago, Oct. 6-8:
- Walter Hussman reports on the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's bold move to convert all its subscribers to digital subscribers.
- Recruitment guru Laurie Kahn on what newspapers need to do to assemble a team of sales superstars.
- The Post and Courier reveals results from the Google News Initiative – literally days after its conclusion.
- News from Washington on the newspaper industry's fight to get a fair share of revenue from Facebook and Google.Springs.
Read about the latest job openings posted on the SNPA website. And, send us your listings to post at no cost.More