Health and science chapter debuts in 2019 AP Stylebook
The Associated Press has released the 2019 edition of The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law, which includes more than 200 new or revised entries and a new chapter on health and science journalism.
The 2019 Stylebook includes entries that are new and comprises additions and changes made throughout the year on AP Stylebook Online, such as new and expanded guidance on race-related terms announced in March.
The new health and science chapter includes guidelines on choosing stories and proper usage of scientific journals, as well as a primer on types of scientific studies and other coverage guidance.
Among the changes to the spiral-bound 2019 Stylebook:
- New entries on vaping, budtender, deepfake and cryptocurrency.
- Revised guidance that accent marks can be used with names of people who request them or are widely known to use them, or if quoting directly in a language that uses them.
- Revised guidance that the % sign can be used in most cases.
- An updated and expanded entry on suicide, including when and how it is acceptable to report a suicide method and guidance to avoid reporting the contents of notes or letters.
- Several sports betting terms, such as "integrity fee" and sportsbook.
- Expanded guidance on hyphenation.
- An appearance by Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus.
At more than 600 pages, the AP Stylebook is widely used as a writing and editing reference in newsrooms, classrooms and corporate offices worldwide.
The AP Stylebook is available in spiral-bound print and several digital formats.
The subscription-based AP Stylebook Online is updated throughout the year with new and revised entries. It includes all Stylebook listings, plus an Ask the Editor feature with extensive archives, a pronunciation guide with phonetic spellings and audio pronouncers, and topical style guides about news events. Users can add their own entries, make notes and receive notifications throughout the year when AP's editors add or update listings.
AP Stylebook & Webster's New World Online adds 185,000 definitions from Stylebook's primary dictionary to Stylebook Online's subscription website. A single search delivers results from both and clearly identifies the source of each entry.
The 2019 print edition costs $19.95 for AP member news organizations and college bookstores and $24.95 retail. AP Stylebook Online prices are $27 for individual subscribers for one year and $22 for news organizations that are AP members. Prices for online site licenses are based on the number of users, starting at $210 for 10 users for a year.
The new print edition and digital subscriptions can be ordered online at http://www.apstylebook.com.
The AP Stylebook is also available as an e-book on Amazon.