Eight executives selected for 2016-17
The SNPA Foundation has selected eight newspaper executives to participate in the 2016-2017 NEX GEN program. Each of the eight participants is paired with one of the brightest talents in the newspaper industry.
The year-long NEX GEN program offers newspaper professionals with executive potential the opportunity to develop their industry knowledge, analytical skills and aptitude for innovation.
The 2016-2017 participants are:
- Vic Bowers, strategic accounts manager, The Charlotte Observer, Charlotte, N.C.
- Carlene Cox, director of newsroom development, GateHouse Media, Austin, Texas
- Tony Elkins, deputy managing editor, Sarasota Herald-Tribune, Sarasota, Fla.
- Micah Green, creative director, Forsyth County News, Cumming, Ga.
- Hugh Osteen, executive development, Osteen Publishing Co., Fleming Island, Fla.
- Robert Royer, multi-media sales and marketing team leader, Victoria Advocate, Victoria, Texas
- Todd Stewart, senior editor for interactive and visuals, Orlando Sentinel, Orlando, Fla.
- Corey Wilson, digital sales coach, The McClatchy Co., Miami, Fla.
Mentors for 2016-2017 are:
- Zach Ahrens, publisher, The Topeka Capital-Journal, Topeka, Kan.
- Tim Burke, publisher and editor, The Palm Beach Post, West Palm Beach, Fla.
- Steve Dorsey, vice president/innovation and planning, Austin American-Statesman, Austin, Texas
- Steve Gray, vice president of strategy and innovation, Morris Communications, Augusta, Ga.
- Jeremy Halbreich, chairman and CEO, AIM Media Texas LLC, Dallas, Texas
- Christian Hendricks, vice president/products, marketing and innovation, The McClatchy Co., Sacramento, Calif.
- Mark Lorando, vice president/content and editor, NOLA Media Group, New Orleans, La.
- Nancy Solliday, vice president/advertising sales, The News-Press, Fort Myers, Fla.
The NEX GEN protégés will meet for the first time with their mentors at SNPA's News Industry Summit in Sarasota, Fla., Sept. 14-16. The 2016-17 NEX GEN experience will culminate with a presentation at SNPA's 2017 News Industry Summit in Colorado.