The future of newsrooms: When change is not enough
Newsrooms continue to shrink. Digital-first workflows have reshaped the journalism "jobs to be done." But would it surprise you that newsrooms today look similar to newsrooms last year and the year before?
A recent analysis of ASNE newsroom census surveys show little change in the percentage of supervisors and the overall makeup of newsrooms. So, what needs to happen?
On Sunday afternoon, Sept. 10, Bill Church, senior vice president of news for GateHouse Media, will examine the future of newsrooms during the combined Annual Meeting of SNPA and Inland Press Association.
His presentation will look closely at the data, share insights on effective organizational change, and offer suggestions on how media organizations should move forward.
- How to reset newsroom priorities to match resources.
- What metrics to consider for changing newsroom staffing.
- Why we should rethink how newsrooms are organized.
Prior to his current role, Church served a dual role as executive editor of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune and Southeast regional editor for GateHouse. A collaboration between the Sarasota Herald-Tribune and Tampa Bay Times earned a 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting.
Church is the current president of the Associated Press Media Editors, a 2016 Knight Visiting Nieman Fellow at Harvard and a two-time Pulitzer jurist. He is a longtime member of the Asian American Journalists Association and a recipient of the national Robert G. McGruder Diversity Leadership Award.
This is just one segment of what will be a spectacular program at the combined Annual Meeting at The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs Sept. 10-12. Don't miss it.
- REGISTER to attend.
- RESERVE your hotel room quickly! We expect an early sellout. Please reserve your room at The Broadmoor, by calling (855) 634-7711 or online at https://aws.passkey.com/go/SNPAInland2017. Room reservation deadline is JULY 25. Group rates are: Classic $250, Superior $280 and Premier $310.
- BE A SPONSOR OR EXHIBITOR to meet industry decision makers:
- LEARN ABOUT ADDITIONAL SESSIONS at the Annual Meeting