Cranking up the heat on life in Seguin
The Seguin (Texas) Gazette has just published the second edition of its new quarterly lifestyle magazine that it launched over the summer – Seguin Sizzle.
The reader and advertiser response to the first issue was tremendous and the staff ended up having to add additional pages for this second edition.
The latest issue looked at:
- Fashion – the trends for the season ahead and how residents can get them without having to make the trip to San Antonio or Austin.
- Health – including how to deal with the coming holiday season and the depression that often comes alongside it.
- Big trends, but with a local flavor – like Seguin's BS Brewing and the explosion in craft beer offerings.
- Video games – to help readers impress those around them with their knowledge and skills.
- Plus, stories about tattoos and the difference between a car wash and the zen approach of a true detailer.
Seguin Sizzle is slick, color from front to back and filled with pictures that generally wouldn't work well in the Gazette.
In Seguin Sizzle the stories stream from one page to the next without the jumps that appear in the daily paper.
Managing Editor Chris Lykins says, "The design in Seguin Sizzle tends to be more aggressive and playful."
"The Gazette is the grand old girl," Lykins said. "When you're 125 years old, you're expected to carry yourself with a certain elegance and dignity that pays tribute to history without being staid and boring."
Seguin Sizzle also targets a different audience than the Gazette. While its articles and look don't aim to exclude anyone, Lykins said it will tackle topics and issues that readers are less likely to see in the Gazette – even though content is being produced by the same writers.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here