Nine executives selected for 2017-18 mentor program
The SNPA Foundation has selected nine newspaper executives to participate in the 2017-2018 NEX GEN program. Each of the nine participants will be paired with one of the brightest talents in the newspaper industry.
The year-long NEX GEN program offers newspaper professionals with executive potential the opportunity to develop their industry knowledge, analytical skills and aptitude for innovation.
The 2017-2018 participants are:
- Don Blankinship, regional sales manager, Pilot Media, Norfolk, Va.
- Jennifer Davidson, regional audience development manager, Burlington (N.C.) Times-News, The Courier-Tribune in Asheboro (N.C.) and The Dispatch, Lexington, N.C.
- Laura Garcia, features editor, Victoria Advocate, Victoria, Texas
- Tim Horton, digital sales director, Amarillo Globe-News, Amarillo, Texas
- Ashley Howard, circulation digital audience development manager, The Oklahoman Media Company, Oklahoma City, Okla.
- Nicole McMullin, online brand director, Richmond Times-Dispatch, Richmond, Va.
- Kim Phillips, advertising manager, Venice Gondolier Sun, Port Charlotte, Fla.
- Sherman Smith, managing editor, The Topeka Capital-Journal, Topeka, Kan.
- Stephanie Spiess, publisher, Sidney Herald, Sidney, Mont.
The NEX GEN protégés will meet for the first time with their mentors at the SNPA-Inland Annual Meeting in Colorado Springs, Colo., Sept. 10-12. The 2017-18 NEX GEN experience will culminate with a presentation at SNPA's 2018 News Industry Summit in Nashville.